Storytelling and Teaching


           STORIES         
                                  

Oral Stories are the building blocks of our communication and education and can easily be called the best way to learn information. While the right side of the brain uses creativity and imagination, the left side of the brain engages with the language and facts. Thus, stories use both sides of our brains, and a well-told story can fully engage the listener. A story is the quickest and easiest way to engage students in content and discussions. Because there are myriad benefits to using storytelling for education,  I will cover that in future blog posts.
As an oral storyteller and mother tongue teacher, I use stories to teach in nearly all my English classes. Every week I have twenty different lessons with a total of over 80 students. My mother tongue classes range in size from one to twelve students. All my English mother tongue classes are held in English, and thus the stories are told in English. Once a week, I participate in a special World Class project, where we speak Swedish and tell stories in various languages. I will share more about that exciting project in a future blog post.
I believe that learning is fun! Recently, I completed my Master's degree in Storytelling at East Tennessee State University.  I would leave each class full of excitement to share with my son what I had learned, demonstrating how much I love to impart with others what I learn.  In this blog, I will be sharing some of the stories that I tell with additional activities to build more learning into the story. Since I believe in learning and sharing with other teachers, I will even include tips for activities, exercises, and games that I develop, learn, or collect from other teachers or storytellers.

            Are you ready for a story?




©️ Laurina Bergqvist




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiddalick the Frog... an Australian folktale

The Journey to TaeLandia begins

Next stop... New Zealand