Playing Games

Playing Genre Piranha

Yesterday I tested an online game with several of my students. Sitting in the teacher’s
lounge before class, I tested this game myself while getting strange looks from
other teachers. Perhaps playing a game isn’t a normal way to plan lessons. In
class, we started by discussing the name of the game, Genre Piranha, which
even explained what they would be attempting. You swim your fish through the
course while being attacked by a shark, sea urchins, an octopus, jellyfish and
other sea creatures. Anytime your fish meets (touches) a sea creature, you have
to stop and answer a literature-related question to continue. There is an urgency
to answer the question correctly in order to “save yourself”.


I was surprised to find several students who quickly got hooked on this game and
within 30 minutes could quite accurately answer the genre questions. They knew
how to look for keywords and phrases in the text,which also improved their
reading strategies. My students enjoyed this game and commented that they hope
I spend more time playing games in the teacher’s lounge.Then I’ll find more
games for them to play, they hope.Next to test is Poetry Cat. Do you have any
recommendations for apps and game that enhance learning to make it fun?

©️ Laurina Bergqvist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiddalick the Frog... an Australian folktale

The Journey to TaeLandia begins

Next stop... New Zealand